Arrogance – inferiority camouflage, Part 1

 

arrogant

adjective

 unpleasantly proud and behaving as if you are more important than, or know more than, other people:

-          Cambridge Dictionary 

 


Have you ever noticed that those demonstrating arrogance are often the most insecure if you look beyond their camouflage of pride? Notice too in the definition above, that the word ‘unpleasantly’ proud is used. This talks to the impact arrogance has on others and its toxicity.

Let me explain how this toxicity of arrogance came to the Facilitator in Training Programme, an incredible Programme where Sree Maa Shri Ji gave selfless time and effort so freely to help all the volunteer Facilitators in Training (FiT), so that we could transform our ego or small self and realise our true Selves. However, some of us such as myself chose to stay in suspension in our small selves, opting for comfort over transformation. Despite abusing the program we were still showered with the constant Love and Grace of Sree Maa. I’ll now go into some examples of how arrogance was brought into Kosmic Fusion and acted towards our incredible Guru and the other FiT.

 

Acting superior but feeling inferior

I acted superior with my Kosmic Fusion promotional writeups, thinking I was gifted. So, so arrogant! It was because of all the Discourses and Guidance we received, that I could start to see my own small self at play. I loved doing writeups as it meant I had regular communication with Sree Maa Shri Ji, and secretly hoped my writeups were impressing Sree Maa Shri Ji (thus elevating my status).

Part of the Programme included studying scriptures in order to gain true Knowledge. I acted so arrogantly holding the false belief that I was better than most at understanding them. By being so arrogant I was causing separation in the group and trying to project my inferiority onto others. I took this even further and judged everyone’s efforts as higher or lower than mine and found fault with them in one way or another. This was so clearly the opposite of Sree Maa’s Teachings; it was most important to look at our own flaws, not find fault in others. Sree Maa knew all our natures, yet patiently and painstakingly helped us to gradually see them for ourselves.

Sometimes we would practice presenting to each other, but I observed with a competitive and envious eye towards one of the other Facilitators in Training, Niranjana. I wanted to be better than her and for everyone to admire me, but it was hard as she was a natural at it. There were also tones of my white superiority at play – an entitlement to be at the top, given my whiteness. This is an inherent feeling I had of being above non-whites and of having more worth than them.

I felt superior to the other FiT at both writing and presenting. I internally judged Malana and Joy, the narcissists among us, as being ‘below me’ but refused to go within myself, to recognise what was holding me back from realising my potential and then work on removing it. Although I recognised narcissistic tendencies in my self I preferred to hide rather than address these head on.

When on the precious India Pilgrimage with Sree Maa Shri Ji, I rudely ignored the other team members, not bothering to say hello or check in to see how they were, yet showing my hypocrisy by expecting them to do that to me, as I was more important than them. I expected others to look after me when I wasn’t feeling well at the Taj Mahal and thought I was entitled to enter the Hanumanji temple in Sarangpur, even though the rest of the group had not yet arrived. Another example of my hypocrisy was judging the other FiT’s responses in our message chat group as being inferior, yet when the FiT gave me honest feedback on my messages, I could not take it. What plain arrogance I showed and yet I saw my behaviour as ok (due to feeling superior), but clearly this was out of line.

 



Comments

Popular Posts